When it comes to iconic fried chicken, few names carry the same weight as Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). The Colonel’s secret blend of herbs and spices has been tantalizing taste buds for decades. While the exact KFC Original Secret Chicken Recipe remains a closely guarded secret, we’re here to guide you through a delicious homemade version that captures the essence of that crispy, flavorful magic. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey that brings the distinctive taste of KFC right to your kitchen.
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
For the Coating:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
Marinating the Chicken:
- Prepare Buttermilk Marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Coat Chicken: Place the chicken pieces in the buttermilk marinade, ensuring each piece is well-coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight for maximum flavor.
Coating the Chicken:
- Prepare Coating Mixture: In a separate bowl, combine flour, paprika, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried basil, dried oregano, celery salt, ground white pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Coat Chicken Pieces: Remove each piece of chicken from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Roll the chicken in the flour mixture, ensuring an even and generous coating.
- Double Coating (Optional): For an extra crispy texture, dip the coated chicken back into the buttermilk marinade and then into the flour mixture again.
Frying the Chicken:
- Heat Oil: In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry Chicken in Batches: Carefully place a few chicken pieces in the hot oil, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan. Fry each batch for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Drain and Rest: Once fried, place the chicken on a wire rack to allow excess oil to drain. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Use a Thermometer: To ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should reach 165°F (74°C).
- Maintain Oil Temperature: Keep an eye on the oil temperature while frying. Fluctuations can affect the crispiness of the chicken.
- Let it Rest: Allowing the chicken to rest after frying helps the exterior become crispy while maintaining juicy, flavorful meat.
Bringing the magic of KFC’s Original Secret Chicken Recipe to your home kitchen is a culinary adventure that promises a crispy, flavorful reward. While the Colonel’s exact formula remains elusive, this homemade version captures the essence of that famous blend of herbs and spices. Gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and treat yourself to a batch of irresistibly crispy and delicious fried chicken that rivals the iconic taste of KFC. It’s a culinary masterpiece that will have everyone asking for your secret recipe!