Skip to content
- ▢3 pound chuck roast cut into 1-inch pieces
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢salt and pepper
- ▢1 yellow onion cut into small chunks
- ▢4 large carrots cut into 1-inch chunks
- ▢1 pound Yukon potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ▢1 1/2 cups beef broth
- ▢1 cup dry red wine or sub beef broth
- ▢1/4 cup tomato paste
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ▢5 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ▢1/4 cup flour
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef, season with salt and pepper and brown in batches, give the meat a nice sear.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Transfer the beef from the pan to the slow cooker.
- Add in the onions to the skillet. Cook the onions for 3-4 minutes, stir then cook another 3 minutes. Once done, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Next add the carrots, potatoes, broth, salt, tomato paste, red wine, thyme, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir all the ingredients until well mixed and cook on low for 7 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup stew broth. Stir in flour mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 20 minutes, or until thickened.